Saturday, August 16, 2014

Not the week that we had expected

We arrived in Seattle early Saturday morning. Spent the day hanging out with family and taking naps on and off due to no sleep Friday night. Sunday we checked into our hotel and went on over to the hospital for an MRI appointment. They told us at check in that it would take an hour and a half... It took 4 hours. 4 very long hours. Thankfully, my mom was with us and we spent the time wandering around the hospital and even spent about an hour outside by the lake (University of Washington Medical Center is right on the lake).



We then went to PF Changs to make up for poor Isaiah being stuck in there for so darn long. Monday was an early day. We got to the appointment and were told by the doctor that there was good news and bad news. *horrible thing to say to already worried pregnant lady whose husband has cancer* He said that the good news was that he had looked at the scans from Sunday and it looks like there wasn't any significant growth, thank goodness. Bad news... Surgery was being postponed. Seriously?! I didn't been know that was a possibility. 

Apparently there will be quite the large group of doctors working on this surgery and the spine surgeon that was supposed to be apart of it, was called out to Chicago last minute for some emergency. The doctor had been making calls all morning to find a replacement but there was one doctor in the process of moving, another on medical leave, and others were scheduled for surgeries in another state. As of right now, we've been told that surgery will be postponed 2 weeks to August 28th. Nothing is confirmed yet though :(. 

I am choosing to look at this as a good thing. If this is the worst news we get, I'll take it. I hate that he's been in pain since mid March and will now have to wait another 2 weeks. This was still not a wasted trip though. He had quite a few appointments this week that will not need to be repeated whine we come back. We were also given a lot more detail about the surgery and after. 

This surgery is going to be a big one. We did know that but we didn't really know how big. It will be at least 8 hours. He will have the main surgeon, a neurosurgeon, a spine surgeon, an anesthesiologist and each of their teams. He will probably lose his entire blood volume during the surgery and will receive multiple transfusions. They will need to go in, remove the tumor from the pelvis and try to save as many nerve endings on his right side as possible. He will have a spinal fusion, practically rebuild his entire right side of his pelvis. They will do a bone graft to fill the large hole that will be left in his pelvis from where the tumor will be removed. 

Due to the large amount of blood loss and the sheer length of the surgery, it is almost guaranteed that he will have to stay in the ICU for one or two nights. So glad that they told me in advance so I don't panic when they tell me he's in the ICU after surgery. He will stay in the hospital for 7-10 days and will be on crutches for quite awhile. Then of course there is the 6 month recovery.  We also expect that he will need physical therapy for awhile. 

This was quite the frustrating trip to get here only to be told it is postponed but at least it wasn't a total waste. We got a lot of appointments out of the way, saw a bunch of family, did some shopping for me, baby, and Isaiah. A friend of Isaiah's actually gave us Seahawks tickets while we were here so that did cheer him up a bit as well. 

For now, we are sitting at the airport waiting for our flight to go home for about a week and a half. Guess this was our trial run. I know that my mom is really disappointed that she will not be able to come back with us next time to be here with me during and after the surgery but we made the most of this trip and I will still have Isaiah's mom and all of my extended family to keep me company next time. Mostly, I just want to get this surgery over with. Get Isaiah on the road to healing and put this all behind us. I want to get back home before my parents go on their trip to Italy, or I know my mom will be worried the whole time that she is gone. 

Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers while we go through this time in our lives. 

Oh and as far as baby news, she has clearly been growing because according to my mom and Isaiah, my belly seems to be continuously growing haha. I am still feeling her wiggles here and there but nothing very consistent at this point. I can't believe that I will be 19 weeks tomorrow! So surreal. 

6 comments:

  1. Praying right now Shelby!!!! Happy 19 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that your hubby's surgery date has been delayed. It sounds like it is going to be quite the procedure. I'm glad that they went over it with you in such detail so you will be prepared. I'm praying for you guys! Congrats on 19 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Most definitely a lot more involved than we had anticipated :/

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. Praying for you all!! Congrats on 19 weeks!! xo

    waitingforbabybird.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We can use all of the prayers that we can get!!! :)

      Delete